Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dairy-Free Update 1.0

Totally forgot to give you all an update on being dairy free.  I talked to Owen's doctor about my concerns over him possibly being allergic to dairy at his 2 month appointment last week.  She said that though there is no true way to test for a dairy allergy, the symptoms I told her he had had sounded like a possible minor allergic reaction.  She said that it could be the dairy allergy or possibly just that he was going through a "phase," since babies change so much and so quickly.  She said that if I plan to ever use formula, that I should try to very slowly add dairy back into my diet, because most baby formula has milk in it and the non-milk formulas a verrry expensive (like double the cost).

So, I tried adding a small amount of dairy that day by getting my favorite Noodles & Company dish for lunch.  It has a small amount of cream in the sauce and a small amount of Parmesan cheese on top.  And like I feared, Owen's stomach bloated way up and he was fussy all night.  Just like he had been after the I had cheese on my sandwich the week before.  So, this momma shall remain dairy free for a while longer.  Since I'm planning to breastfeed/pump a while longer, I'm not too worried about it, but hopefully he grows out of it eventually.

Being dairy free hasn't affected me as much as I thought it would.  The first week was definitely the hardest - all I thought about was pizza, mac n cheese, and sour cream.  But since it's been about a month now, I honestly don't really miss it that much.  And for a major TMI moment, I literally have almost no gas (aka farts) in my body.  It also made me realize how much dairy I was adding to my regular food that I probably didn't really need, like cheese on a sandwich or cheese and sour cream in chili (no judgement to any of you out there that add these....I can pretty much guarantee that I'll add it all back in once I'm able to again).   We started buying vanilla almond milk for cereal, Earth Balance Buttery Spread for bagels and things, and getting soy milk in my lattes.

One funny thing, so Matt has never been too picky about what food I out in front of him.  When the dairy free ordeal came about, he jumped on board too.  He hasn't stayed 100% dairy free the whole time, but he's probably about 80% free.  Anyway, so earlier this week he requested mac n cheese for dinner (which I made him describe to me as he ate it) and he ended up getting sick from it.

Sooo, for the next few months, don't expect a whole lot of grilled cheese sandwiches or delicious cheese dips from this lady if you visit.  Boooo.  At least this guy will be happy. :)


And this guy. :)


~M, S, and O~

***Words of wisdom: Pizza....seriously why are you so much more desirable when I can't have you?!  Stuff your faces with it while you can folks.***


No comments:

Post a Comment