Monday, February 4, 2013

Handsome McSmiley

About two weeks ago, Little Mr. Owen graduated to his next baby milestone....smiling at Matt and I. :)  And can I just say, if I could have possibly melted anymore, I would be a puddle of liquid goo right now.  Matt too, though he'll hate me for sharing that.  :)

A day or so before, Owen had started smiling at his initial (O X K) blocks on the wall next to the changing table.  Yup, we were superseded by homemade art.  Matt got his little gummy grin to show first, by shaking his head really fast back forth and saying "OwenOwenOwenOwenOwen."  While Matt nursed his headache from doing that 56 times, I got Owen to smile at me by make my hand look like it was monster, while making "RaarRaarRaarRaar" sounds (in a baby friendly way) and then "Boop"ing him on the nose.  Yup, he really makes me work for it.

Capturing it on camera proved to be quite the challenge.  Here's the best one we got.


Hahaha just kidding. :)






Haha, that last one cracks me up. :)

We've also been working on getting Big O on some sort of a schedule during the day.  We're loosely following the Baby Wise Plan, which is "training" your baby to sleep on a schedule during the day that will help them sleep throughout the night.  The sample plan I found online wants you to put your baby on a three hour schedule.  Meaning that every three hours you do the following:

Wake up baby
Diaper Change baby
Feed baby
Lay down baby (or we call it "doing some kicking" because Owen loves to lay down on his play mat and kick up a storm)
Nap (about 90 minutes)
Repeat

The 90 minute nap doesn't ever really happen.  He either naps for about 45 minutes or 3 hours, there isn't a whole lot of middle ground.  But, otherwise we follow this the best we can depending on Owen's mood and also if we're at home or out and about.  And so far it's going well.  We've been doing it for about a week now and I think he's been sleeping better at night.  We usually put him to bed around 8pm (after feeding him) and then he sleeps until 12:30-1:00am, then its a diaper change and feeding.  Then another change and feeding around 4:00am.  Then he's usually ready to start the day around 6:45 or 7:00am.  When I'm up with him during the night, it's normally only for about 20-30 minutes too, so I'm not too exhausted during the day.  And he slept for his longest stretches ever, 6-7 hours three times thi last week!  :)

According to the baby books, this week Owen should also have been able to grab on to an object, when we handed it to him.  So we tried it and low and behold he grabbed the baby key set we offered him.  As long as we put it up to his hand, he'll grab on and then start shaking it.  Pretty amazing, huh? :)  I can remember my brother marveling at my niece doing this and Matt and I not being too impressed.  To which RJ replied, "Just wait until your own baby does it."  And yes, I can now agree, it is a momentous event. :)

We also finally found and signed Owen up for his temporary daycare.  We've had his permanent daycare set up for months, but he can't start until June 1st.  So, we needed to find a place for him from mid March (when I go back to work) until June.  We toured a center in town a couple weeks ago and thankfully they had room and it seeed like an amazing place.  He'll be one of three little babies, with a couple under 2 year old kids in there with him too. (All the kids are divided up by age, into different rooms).  Having found and nailed this place down has been such a relief.  I was getting worried that I would have to strap on the Baby Bjorn and bring him to work with me....hmmm now there's an idea. :)

~M, S, and Big O~

***Weekly words of wisdom: I wish I would have listened to advice from friends that Owen would only need 5 or 6 newborn outfits/pajama sets.  I went crazy and bought a ton (granted a lot were from garage sales) and he ended up wearing the same 4 or 5 pajamas the entire first 3 weeks or so....and then he had grown out of all his newborn clothes.  And it's soooo much easier to just dress him in cute little pj's instead of an actual outfit (though I do pull out the outfits a couple times a week).  Having to take pants on and off everytime he needs to be changed is a pain in the buttocks.  A couple cute pajamas and you'll be set.***


No comments:

Post a Comment