Tuesday, September 4, 2012

24 & 25 weeks "I think my belly grew in the last 10 minutes"

24 weeks found me at the hospital.  Now, don't freak yourselves out because it ended up being nothing.  It all started when I went to the bathroom Sunday morning and I had some spotting.  It was actually a clot about the size of a dime (sorry, TMI).  I figured I would wait and see how the day went before freaking out too much, especially since I had problems with spotting before. The rest of the day I was fine.  Monday morning, dime sized clot. And then I spotted lightly throughout the day.  I figured if I had it again on Tuesday, then I would call the doctor.  When I went to the bathroom Tuesday morning....slightly bigger clot.  So I called the clinic on my morning break (about 9am) and when my nurse called me back, she said that since my doctor was off that day, I should go to OB/GYN Triage at the hospital.  And go ASAP.  (Whenever there is bleeding this far along, it needs to be checked out right away).  So I tried to stay calm (aka not start crying and freak the eff out at work) and left right away.

When I got to Meriter Hospital (where I'll deliver Baby Pepper.  The hospital I work at doesn't have an OB/GYN or Maternity ward; They contract it out through the other two hospitals in town, depending on your insurance you go to one of them to have your baby.  And it's less than a mile away too, which will be nice come December) and was forced by at 200 year old orderly to use a wheelchair to get up to the wing of the hospital I needed.  Which made me feel like a dork since I still had my scrubs on from work.  Anyway, after being registered and checked in, I had an exam with a doctor.  After the exam, she said she didn't find anything abnormal or unusual, it was probably "just one of those things that can happen."  Which frustrated me to no end, but I'll take "one of those things" over a problem every single day.  And go figure, Wednesday morning no spotting at all.

One good thing came out of going to the hospital though, I now know where to go if anything comes up before delivery time again, or even for delivery time.  And I'm all registered with the hospital too, so I won't have to worry about doing that while I'm screaming at Matt and all the nurses.

Matt and I also went shopping for wedding clothes this week, because our friends were getting married the next weekend.  Matt got a new suit (sexxxxxy) and I had picked out a dress at Motherhood Maternity, which I wanted to show Matt before I bought.  I was really excited about it because it was stretchy and fitted, both of which I thought would go well with my bump (since it's quite obvious, but not super super huge yet).  When I showed Matt, the approval I got from him was "Mehhh."  That went over well, let me tell you.  He kept bringing me different dresses to try on, and I think I tried on every single one the store sells.  In the end I wasn't feeling good about any of them, so I bought the one I originally liked and Matt's favorite, knowing I could return the one I didn't wear.  I went back another day and tried a bunch on again, but in the end I went with the one I originally liked, knowing my first choice is usually the one I'm most happy with.

**********

During week 25 we went to Chicago for our friends' wedding, and also treated it like a mini vacation (since we can never take long weekends due to Matt's job).  We went to the Cubs game at Wrigley Field on Friday afternoon, where it was 342 degrees outside.  I had to go to the bathroom and roll down the belly band on my shorts and was then left with two giant rings underneath each boob. : /


After the game, everyone went to the Cubby Bear, a bar across from the stadium.  Let me tell you, I had a blast.....not.  It was almost as hot in there as it was at the game, only everyone was TRASHED and sweaty. At one point Matt stepped outside and I was left standing alone holding onto his beer.  Which definitely got me some friendly looks from people.  They would start at my face, look at my belly, look at the beer, back at my belly, and then give me the ultimate stink eye.  So classy.  Matt was also quite adorable when introducing me to different people at the game (wedding guests).  He would first say, "This is my wife Steph," then point to my belly and say "That's my boy in there"....or the always classy, "That's my seed."

On Saturday we walked up and down Michigan Avenue and went to see the bean at Millennium Park.  It was a muggy overcast day, so our sunburns from the game could heal a bit, but we (ok it was just me today) were sweaty messes again.  After the bean and some shopping, we met up with my bestest buddy Courtney and her BF Mike for dinner.  Hang out time was awesome, dinner sucked a big one.  Matt and Courtney were lucky enough to both splatter red tomato sauce all over their shirts. :)





On Sunday (day of the wedding) we went out to breakfast at an aaaaaaaamazing joint called Yolk.  If you have never been GO THERE!  Seriously, I was in heaven and Baby K was kicking up a storm, so I think he was pretty happy with the food too. :)  We did some more walking and shopping on Michigan Ave because Matt needed a shirt for the wedding.

The wedding was on Navy Pier at Crystal Gardens.  So beautiful and really fun.  And let me tell you, being sober at your good friends' wedding, where there is was also an open bar, is almost as much fun as drinking at that same wedding.  Almost.  Luckily we had some of Matt's good friends to hang out (who we don't see very often) so we had a lot of drunk and sober fun. :)  


Haha this wasn't planned, but don't they look so happy to be back together? :)




Monday morning we hopped on the Metra train at 8:30 to start the trek back to Madison.  Matt had to work Monday night for a bit, so we wanted to get home early enough so we could both nap and to spend some time with the puppies.  Who were both so tired from being at camp for the weekend, they both fell asleep within 5 minutes of being picked up.


One thing I will say though, is I'm really starting to feel quite large and in charge almost all of the time.  Just rolling over while in bed is a struggle.  I was really excited I found a dress I liked for the wedding, but being around all the non pregnant girls at the was hard.  I felt like my arms were over taking every picture Matt and I took together.  And that my body and belly kept growing to twice the size it had been the day before.  I know it's part of being pregnant and I honestly love my growing belly (and boobs-whoop!), but getting bigger with each passing moment is still hard some days.  Some, but not all.

25 weeks along




xoxo,

Matt, Steph, and Baby K (who Matt had everyone calling Pepper by the end of the weekend)

***Weekly words of wisdom:  It's ok to leave to go buy flip flops from a nearby touristy store in the middle of a wedding dinner.  Just blame the growing baby in your belly wreaking havoc on your feet.***


2 comments:

  1. Is Pepper the actual name or just a nickname?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt is pushing for Pepper to be the middle name...or at least a nickname...

    ReplyDelete