Wednesday, November 7, 2012

34 weeks "They're like tree trunks"

Whoa.  8 1/2 months along people.  That means less than 6 weeks left until our due date on December 11.  Whoa.....

This week we had our 2nd baby class, "Baby's First Weeks," where we essentially learned how to keep the baby alive and how to take care of him once we get home.  This class was very informative and helpful in comparison to the last one.  We learned how to take a rectal temperature (SO excited to get to to that the first time... : / ), dealing with fussing/crying, feeding, the car seat, swaddling etc ect ect.  Swaddling was the best part of the class for this main reason: watching Matt attempt to swaddle the doll was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen.  Now, yes I was laughing at him to the point where tears were streaming down my face (definitely at him, not with him.  He was not amused), but know that he tried everything the instructor asked us to do without hesitation.  I can tell he's going to be a great dad, even if he did tie the swaddle around the doll's neck to keep it in place.  And every time he would hand me the doll to try a task, he would grab it by it's head and pass it to me.  We also had a pediatrician come in and answer questions after talking about when to call the doctor.  All in all, I highly recommend it or a similar class.

One minor scary moment this week...I had a fall at work.  I slipped on a rubber mat in the lab which was all wet underneath from a spill.  I stopped too quickly with one foot on the mat, the mat went flying across the lab and I went flying through the air and to the ground.  Though it doesn't sound good, I was lucky enough to be carrying a big jug of 200% alcohol (to go in one of our machines) and I held onto the jug as I went down, so the jug basically broke my fall.  My left hip and arm hit the ground next, so again, luckily I fell just right on my hip.  I was sore the rest of that day, but other than that, I walked away without any bruises or aches.  I must be the most spastic pregnant faller in history.

Thursday I had a doctor appointment after work, which was good because I had been having some weird symptoms all week.  The Braxton-Hicks contractions were coming really regularly throughout every day, I was spotting, had a lot of pelvic pressure (day and night), and had been having some cramping.....all of which could point to early labor.  So, as I'm sitting on the table/bed waiting for the doctor to come in, I realize suddenly that I can't remember the last time I shaved my legs (Matt is one lucky guy).  So I look down at my ankles to see how hairy they are and was shocked to see them bloated and huge and literally almost twice as big as they normally are.  It scared the hell out of me.  Now, I know that bloating (especially in the ankles and feet) is normal in pregnant women, but to see my own ankles so massive and bloated (and out of no where)  freaked me out.  A lot.  Oh, and I had also gained 6.5 pounds in two weeks when I normally only gain 1 or 1.5.

So after talking the the doctor, she checked to see if I had possibly started to dilate/become effaced  and thankfully I had not.  When I mentioned to her that I was planning on leaving for Minneapolis the next morning (Friday) for a friend's baby shower, she started shaking her head, interrupted me and said, "Absolutely not."  She said that with all my symptoms and sudden bloating up, driving 4.5 hours away was unsafe and unwise.  So yeah.  Picture me in near tears leaving the doctor as I call Matt.  Not only because I had to miss one of best friend's shower, but also because I was suddenly terrified.  I had commented to my doctor once on how my pregnancy was sort of boring because everything was always a-ok (why I ever thought that is beyond me) and she assured me that a boring pregnancy is a good pregnancy.  And suddenly it didn't feel boring anymore.

The swelling had gone down a bit by Sunday night, but then yesterday (Tuesday) the tree trunk ankles were back...and haven't gone away since.  I can tell all my shoes are fitting a lot tighter, so the swelling has moved into my feet as well.  Warning: fat feet and legs ahead.


Oh and sleeping has again proved to be miserable.  When I lay on my left side, my left arm and leg fall asleep from my crushing body weight.  And then when I flop over the over side (again a miserable process...which lately leaves me feeling like my stomach is being ripped open :(  ) then my right side gets crushed.  Then I give up and try laying my back to give each side a break....but then my lungs get crushed and I can't breathe very well.  Ugggghhhhh I think I'm ready for this baby to be here.

I would like to apologize in advance for this week's photo.  I was feeling very down in the dumps and crabby about not being in Minneapolis with my friends and family so I decided to not shower on Saturday and then lay around on the couch all day.

34 weeks along

Matt was nice enough to take this option too....which I think is the better choice.


And then Sunday I did shower....and this was the result.....Oh man, I feel bad for my baby daddy.  : /


And in case you're wondering about the scissors, we fiiiiinaly bought window fogging contact paper stuff to put on our front windows to keep the dogs from barking at everything that moves outside.  We were worried about nap time being disturbed.  And it's working!!!  No more barking all day everyday!  Though now I feel bad because Ty Cobb sits and pouts all night because he can't look outside anymore.

~Matt, Steph, and Baby Owen~

***Weekly words of wisdom: Cutting down your sodium intake (because of bloating) is HARD.  Especially when your favorite foods may currently be chips, french fries, and Girl Scout Cookies.  You may think about chips many times throughout the day.  Although being forced by your doctor to drink ice water (a weird craving that has been around since the beginning or pregnancy) can make you feel slightly better.....until you have to pee 4 times in one night.***


1 comment:

  1. Hmm...sounds a lot like me towards the end. Watch out for that 38 week mark- you could go early! Fat ankles suck though...I'm sorry. It'll all be over soon though and then you'll soon forget all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete