Tuesday, December 4, 2012

38 weeks "Are we having a baby today?"

Ever since the doctor told me I wasn't allowed to travel to Minneapolis a few weeks ago, we've had our selves set on high alert, expecting labor pains or water breaking or pre-eclampsia to happen at any moment.  And being on constant high alert has been exhausting.   I'm back to napping every afternoon (or any chance I get) for an hour or more, much like my early pregnancy.  And I've also been dealing with feeling sick at various times throughout the day.

Time has kind of stood still since the no travel rule appointment too, which has only made us more anxious.  Time leading up the finding out Baby K's gender dragged on, and then from that day until about a month ago has flown by.  And now it drags again.  Which I've heard from a couple people is very normal.  Any day could be THE day, which is scary and exciting all at once.  :)  We have finally settled down a bit this week, trying to accept that things will happen when they will.  Trying.  Every morning Matt has taken to asking me, "Are we having a baby today?"  to which I always answer, "I don't know, maybe" and we hope that today will be that day.  So far it hasn't been the day (obviously).  But we're happy to keep Baby Owen in his little cocoon for as long as he chooses, or until our doctor decides is long enough.  She told us that she only allows babies go a week past their due dates because after 41 weeks, it's no longer better for the baby to be inside the mom.  And about 90% of the time, once the induction is scheduled, the moms go into labor before their induction date.  Hopefully we'll get to schedule it at our next appointment (39 weeks).

Our 38 week doctor appointment went well.  Blood pressure, urine, and weight are good.  The doctor checked me again to see if I was dilated at all yet...which was a big negative.  However, my cervix has started to soften (become effaced) a bit, so it's a start. :)  We also talked to her about labor signs because I've been freaking myself out over the fact that everything I read or almost everyone I talk to says "You'll just know," when real labor starts.  But how do you just know something you've never been through before?!

Baby Stats
Weight: About 6.8 lbs
Length: Around 19 1/2 inches long
***Pelvic pressure is insaaane.  Sometimes when I get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night, I have to walk/gimp down the hallway like there's an invisible horse between my legs, while bracing my hands on both walls to keep from falling over.  Also, Baby Owen seems to be following in his daddy's footsteps to be a kicker, except Mr. Owen appears to be a lefty.  When he kicks me, it honestly feels like he's going to burst through my skin Alien style.  He loves to stretch/kick and hold it for a minute or more sometimes.

38 weeks along



Having a hard time feeling cute these days....even on the one day a week I actually get ready because of these pictures...and it's really hard to smile in these pictures because I can't breathe through my nose very well.


~Matt, Steph, and Baby Owen~


***Weekly words of wisdom: Coca Cola will never taste as good as it does when you can't drink it all the time.  Enjoy your once a week caffeine free Coke down to the last drop.  Every. Last. Drop. Mmmmm.***


No comments:

Post a Comment